Visiting Malta on holiday?
In today’s post we want to share with you a mini guide to visiting Malta and also (in the meantime) give you some helpful information that you can use while vacationing here.
In this post, you’re going to find a brief history of malta, some things to see, eat and do while on vacation also some fun facts from Malta that you should find interesting.
We’re happy to see you’re interested in visiting our little island in the sun, please let us know if we can help you plan your holiday so you can focus on enjoying the many beautiful and rich things Malta has to offer.
InterContinental’s Mini Guide To Visiting Malta
A Brief History Of Malta
The official “name” for Malta, is The Republic Of Malta and it’s made up of 3 islands: Malta, Gozo & Comino along with other islands that are way too small to be inhabited (including; Filfla, The General’s Rock etc.).
It is estimated that Malta was first inhabited around the year 5200 BC by stoneage hunters and farmers who emigrated from Italy’s Sicily and settled here.
In time, the Phoenicians also used the Maltese islands as a “stop over” on their trading routes to the UK, which led to them mixing with the inhabitants thus kick starting a rapid boost in population.
A clear sign of these prehistoric times are the Neolithic temples which are can be found across the Maltese islands. They are said to be the oldest free standing human-made structures in the world. In fact; even older than the pyramids themselves.
Where To Go Out In Malta
Although small, Malta is one of the most renowned entertainment hubs in the entire Mediterranean. From multiple nightclubs, to international dance festivals and the annual Isle Of MTV concerts.
There are a lot of things to see and do in Malta! Probably more than you can visit during your vacation.
We also have a guide on some not-so-popular things to see and do.
Where To Stay In Malta
Obviously we are biased here but our main suggestion would be the InterContinental Hotel in St Julians.
You can see our top 8 reasons to visit InterContinental Hotel, Malta.
Where To Eat In Malta
While in Malta, you absolutely have to try the local Maltese cuisine, and trust me when I say; there is something for everyone.
From Maltese delicacies to international cuisine available everywhere, you can be sure that whatever your taste buds desire, you will find here in Malta.
At InterContinental, we also have 7 restaurants that specialise in different cuisines and dishes from Malta and around the world. You can find a list of them along with more information on our Gastronomy page.
Where To Visit In Malta
This depends on what you like, but there are a lot of things you can enjoy while on your holiday in Malta.
Here are some of our favorite places to visit.
What To Do In Malta
We have prepared a list for you of the things you should do in Malta, but here are some others off the top of our head:
- Take an underwater safari with one of the many boat trips organised throughout the year.
- Visit the majestic beauty of the Buskett Forest and spend some time in the unspoiled countryside.
- Take a hop on / hop off bus tour around Malta.
- Tour the towering bastions of Mdina and Valletta.
- Have a walk in the medieval town of Birgu and admire the unique architecture.
- Visit the Malta National Aquarium in Bugibba.
- Go bird watching.
- Take a trip around the sister island of Gozo.
Here’s also a list of 101+ things to do in Malta while on holiday.
What To See In Malta
While you’re visiting, you may want to experience and see for yourself some of the world-famous Maltese landmarks such as:
- The old theater in Valletta.
- The red beach in Gozo and while you’re there visit…
- The Azure Window.
- See the neolithic temples left by the first inhabitants of the island.
- See the film set of Popeye Village.
- Visit the fishing town of Marsaxlokk.
- See the Game Of Thrones “King’s Landing” scene in Mdina.
- and many more.
Here’s our recommended list of things to see while on vacation.
Some Numbers You May Enjoy
- Capital City: Valletta
- Population: circa 450,000
- GDP per Capita: $33,215
- Largest town: 22,247 (Birkirkara)
- Average yearly temperature: 23°C
- Sunshine rate: 3000 hours a year (the highest in Europe)
- Size of Malta: 213 km²
- Country Code: +356
Fun Facts About Malta
- The EURO is the main currency in Malta after making the switch from the old Maltese Lira.
- Malta is one of the remaining countries that drive on the left.
- Malta was also involved in both World Wars.
- The Republic of Malta is a “sister city” with Bainbridge Island in Washington, USA.
Vacation In Malta
If you’re interested in visiting Malta in the coming weeks and months, be sure to get in touch with InterContinental Hotel so we help you organise your holiday with the help of our concierge services.
You may also want to check our available hotel rooms and suites for the full luxury and comfort effect at InterContinental.
Thank you for reading. See you on the next blog.
We hope you enjoyed reading our blog post!
You can also read our post about Malta By Numbers 😉
Or return to the main Menu for more information about 5 Star Hotel InterContinental Malta . See you soon on InterContinental Hotel Malta 🙂